Storybook: The Hunt

My eyes open to complete darkness. I lay in a compact space with my arms and legs tied and a rope in my mouth to keep me from screaming. I hear the tires tread on a rocky dirt road, and in that instant I knew. From the felt ground, to the low ceiling two inches from the tip of my nose, I knew I was in the trunk of a car. As I lay there awake, I ponder the thought of how long I had been trapped. I have no perception of time, the whole world just seemed to have stopped. 

The tires screech as the car comes to a slow stop. The trunk opens and I cringe at the sunlight as if I had not seen it in ages. Someone, a man or women I could not tell, grabs me by the ropes that are constricting me and drags me across the ground. I am wriggling around in trying to get away, but I am no control. I cannot scream, I cannot move my arms or legs, all I can do is just be there. 

I am thrown against a wall. A wooden wall within a small cottage. The exterior is covered in mattresses, blankets, newspapers…all the essential for one thing: soundproof. I sit in the corner, my body still constricted, and just cry. It feels as if I am soaked in a bath of my own tears but, something seems off. The ground is damp…the walls are damp, what is going on? I come to realize. I am sitting in a nest of an explosive mess waiting to happen. 

I have stopped crying. I just sit there wide eyed. I am stunned. I am paralyzed. What am I supposed to do? These people are going to burn me alive. They have the wrong person I swear of it. 

The door opens…

There they are, the man? The woman? Who took me. 


Authors Note: I have taken the story, The Princes Arrive at Benares, and created my own version of it. The main purpose, the flammable house, is the same but I wanted to stray away from the rest of the main story. I chose to go in the direction of a horror story with a cliffhanger rather than have someone come and show her how to escape. I wrote it in first person to make sure the readers get an insight to her fear. 

Cabin in the Woods

Comments

  1. Hello Jonas!

    I really enjoyed reading your story. I remember reading about the original story and I think your idea is brilliant. Another thing that I liked was that not every reveal was explicit. Some realizations came slower and I like the build. Also, when I read the story, the realizations came when the girl in the story realized it as well so that’s a great indication that the reader is experiencing what the girl is thinking. The only problem I had was that there wasn’t anymore! I hope there’s more to the story. Anyways, great job and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jonas!

    I really enjoyed reading this story, as the whole time I was basically "on the edge of my seat". All the suspense of who had taken this character, who they were and everything else was fascinating. I also loved how you wrote the ending, which was so unique. I have so many unanswered questions which makes it even more mysterious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Jinal Wani

Storytelling: The Twins